Friday 18 May 2012

Wind on the Hill


This poem is from the book “Now we are six” by A.A. Milne that we having been reading after recess everyday. 
scan of Wind of the Hill poem by A.A. Milnescan of Wind of the Hill poem by A.A. Milne
 A particularly beautiful and fascinating conversation arose this morning after reading this particular poem, Wind on the Hill.  I actually got quite teary as the children shared their poetic hypotheses of where the wind does come from. Please read on.

Where does the wind come from?

  • It comes from outer space because it’s really cold out in space. 
  • It comes from other planets. 
  • I think it comes from behind the hills, because once I went behind the hills and it felt harder than ever. 
  • I think it comes from the clouds because the clouds are high up in the sky… because it spreads it all over the world, it’s a lot 'cause there are lots of clouds. 
  • I know where it really, really comes from… I agree with [another child].
How do you know that? 
  • 'Cause my dad has been in outer space… he studies moon dust. 
  • I agree with [another child] because you can’t even walk in space and that must be the wind. 
  • My dad hasn’t actually been in outer space but some of his friends have. 
  • I think it comes from inside leaves. When you shake a bunch of leaves sort of wind comes from it and other things. 
  • My mum told me where, when the trees shake it makes it windy. 
  • I agree with [another child] because, in outer space, um there’s gravity.
What does gravity have to do with wind?
  • Well in outer space there’s, you can’t actually walk on the moon because of the gravity.
And what do you think gravity has to do with the wind?
  • needs some thinking time 
  • The clouds.
Why do you think the wind comes from the clouds?
  • (not sure) 
  • I agree with [another child].
Why?
  • It really does come from outer space.
Do you think that or do you know it
  • I know it.
How?
  • I saw it in a book. 
  • Bugs that flap their wings.
Why?
  • because they always make air.
How do you know?
  • Because when you go near them and there’s no wind you can feel them. 
  • I agree with [another child]. 
  • And me too! 
  • Because sometimes when the suits of astronauts blew air, all of it blows out of the suit ‘cause it’s got special buttons, and that’s why I think it comes from out of space. 
  •  I’m doing the same as [another child]. 
  • I think it comes from the leaves and also plants because sometimes when the plants whistle round sometimes that’s making wind. 
  • From the cloud ‘cause it’s windy. 
  • I think it comes from trees because trees blow ‘cause the clouds make wind and then the trees make it.
After this discussion, a few children chose to either draw their hypotheses or do some research on the internet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment