Friday 18 May 2012

Community Circle - respect

Topic: What does respect mean? What does respectful behaviour look, feel, sound like? How can we be more respectful to our friends? How can we be more respectful in assembly? What are some problems that have arisen due to disrespectful behaviour?
  • It’s mean to spit out your lunch.
  • Well, I think it means to be good, and I think when you see it, it makes people feel bad.
  • Pass
  • Pass
  • Pass
  • Pass
  • Pass
  • Pass
  • It’s for listening.
  • Pass
  • Pass
  • It’s disrespectful to put your hand up in the middle of assembly when someone’s talking except when they ask you a question.
  • Pass
  • I’m going to show you what you should look like in assembly (sits up straight, still and silent).
  • Pass
  • When I sit down I see lots of people talking in the middle of assembly. And we’re talking about that in the meetings.
  • Pass.
Nerida: I think that it’s disrespectful to do things that are silly, mean or rude when you are with your friends. You need to keep your friends safe and happy.
  • It’s bad to poke your tongue at people.
  • Don’t play fight.
  • Don’t scrunch up other people’s pictures without asking them.
  • Don’t draw on other people’s pictures.
  • Pass
  • Pass
  • It means that, pass.
  • Pass
  • Even though something is for trading, like trashies, you still can’t trade them because you might have the same guys or you could get them mixed up.
  • Well, once when [child A] just joined here, [child B] was playing with [child A] and I asked if I could join them and [child A] said ‘no’ and [child B] chose to run away. It made me feel sad because I had no one to play with. [Child B]: I was going to tell the yard duty teacher because [child A] said that.
  • No touching people’s card.
  • It’s mean to spit at school.
  • Pass
  • Pass.
  • Pass.
  • No pretend guns at school.
  • Pass.
  • Um, I forgot what I was going to say.
  • Um, pass.
Nerida: I think it’s really important to respect yourself. If your friends want to do something that you know is wrong, something you think is silly, dangerous or mean, you need to stand up tall and say ‘no’.
  • It’s mean to, when the teacher puts your hands on your head or says “1 2 3” you need to put your hands on your head.
  • It’s mean to not do anything that the teacher says.
  • Otto always draws on my pictures and I don’t like it.
  • If you go to the toilet without a partner, I think it’s bad because you might get lost.
  • I’ve seen [child] go to the toilet once by himself; and I’ve heard someone turn that card over because that person was here and their card was red. And I heard someone say “you can only touch other people’s cards when it’s playtime”.
  • It’s mean to rip other people’s things and to eat other people’s food.
  • It’s mean to chase other people round in the playground.
  • -if they don’t want you to.
  • It’s mean if you disrespect other people’s personal space if you’re to focus up the front instead of them. If you’re still focussing up the front and they’re trying to get their attention on you, that’s really disrespectful.
  • Pass
  • Pass
  • Pass
  • Pass
  • Pass
  • It’s mean, it’s disrespectful to touch other people’s bags and chuck their artwork in the bin, even if you don’t like it.
  • Pass
  • Pass
  • Pass
  • It’s rude to chew with your mouth open.
  • Pass
.

1 comment:

  1. Great to get an insight into what the kids are thinking. Thanks.

    Kate & David

    ReplyDelete